Bug 3458 - Subscribe-to-new-newsgroup search function gives incomplete results
Summary: Subscribe-to-new-newsgroup search function gives incomplete results
Status: RESOLVED INVALID
Alias: None
Product: Claws Mail
Classification: Unclassified
Component: NNTP (show other bugs)
Version: 3.12.0
Hardware: PC Linux
: P3 normal
Assignee: users
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-07-02 17:54 CEST by walt
Modified: 2015-07-02 20:24 CEST (History)
0 users

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description walt 2015-07-02 17:54:50 CEST
Example:  create a claws nntp account for gmane.org

Right-click on the name of the gmane.org account and select "Subscribe to newsgroup" to open the Newsgroup subscription dialog box.

In the search box type "*gnome*"

The gmane.org server carries close to a hundred gnome-related groups, but claws is showing me only a dozen or so.

Is it really necessary to include the leading and trailing * in the search term?  The same search function in thunderbird works without the *

Thanks
Comment 1 Paul 2015-07-02 18:32:29 CEST
As you already know, yes, it is necessary to include the leading and trailing *.
Comment 2 walt 2015-07-02 18:53:24 CEST
Resolved invalid?

Did you even try the newsgroup search function?  I doubt it, because it's broken and needs to be fixed and the bug I described has nothing to do with * wildcards.

The search results omit about 90% of valid strings.
Comment 3 Paul 2015-07-02 19:01:21 CEST
of course I tried it! C'mon!
I saw what seemed to be close to a hundred results.
Comment 4 walt 2015-07-02 19:08:27 CEST
Okay, thanks.  Maybe this is a problem only with recent git sources, or maybe a linux-only thing.  I'll go try to reproduce it with other versions and on windows.

If necessary I'll try git bisecting it.

Thanks again.
Comment 5 Paul 2015-07-02 19:13:24 CEST
I'm using the latest GIT and linux. I think it might be PEBKAC.
Comment 6 walt 2015-07-02 20:24:49 CEST
I just tried gmane again and this time the search function worked properly.

I think the gmane server (or my wireless connection) was having a brain fart and supplied an incomplete list of groups at the time I tried the search.

In any case, my bug report was indeed invalid and I'm sorry for the noise.

Thanks for supporting FOSS.